655 Boston Post Rd
Madison, CT 06443

Our History

It was an early morning fire on the 5th of July, 1907 which prompted the inauguration of Madison’s first volunteer fire department, Madison Hose Co., No 1.

The first piece of equipment was a two-wheel jumper cart which carried about 400’ of hose, a nozzle, and a hydrant wrench.

In 1911, a hose carriage was delivered.

In 1916, a whistle replaced a wrung bell for notifying members of a fire.

In 1919, the company received a Model T Ford/Howe pumper – the first motorized apparatus.

In 1929, the Model T was destroyed and MHC suffered its only line-of-duty death when Clifford Tefft when struck by a train

In 1945, the three-way air horn replaced the 1916 whistle.

In 1948, the company purchased its first self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).

In 1954, the department modernized with radio systems mounted on the trucks.

In 1955, the department moved into its current location after purchasing Molnar’s Garage, which was owned by the Gulf Oil Company, for $30,000.

December 28, 1985 saw the largest fire in the town’s history with five businesses and several apartments being destroyed in the center of town.

In July of 2007 a large parade took place through town in celebration of the department’s 100th anniversary.